Wednesday 26 June 2013

Assignment #7: Rule of Thirds and Leading Lines

   Rule of Thirds and Leading Lines


  This picture was taken in attempt to follow the rule of thirds. However, I wasn't as successful as I had wished. The photo turned out to look differently once uploaded on the computer. There is some mild editing. I used simple color enhancement and I also had to crop the photograph slightly. I should have stepped back one or two steps in order to capture a wider background. That way, it would have been easier to manipulate the placement of the subject. I took this picture because it looked like the lens was looking back at me, in a somewhat lively way.

The above picture was my attempt at leading lines. I wish the boats weren't there as they create some confusion and crowd my photo too much. Perhaps if there was something interesting at the end of my photograph, it would have been more successful.


I took this picture in another attempt at leading lins. When I looked up at the sky, I couldn't help but think it looked like a tetris game:) My imagination runs wild. I had to crop the picture slightly to make it look like what I had seen at the time. I don't think many people see it the same way I did. I don't think this is an accurate representation of leading lins as it doesn't lead to anything. It was just a random shot that caught my attention but I still chose to include it in my post.


This picture, I had high hopes for this one ...
When I took the photograph, I thought there would be more doors included in it. From the abgle I was standing at, the doors created a clear line towards the girl, who in turn is pointing in a new direction. It is like a zig zag that eye must follow. D'Alice suggested that the picture would have been better if I managed to close the last door, but I intended for it to b open. I wanted the audience to want to peak inside the slightly opened door to wonder what is hiding behind.

With this asignment, I realised that what I see is not what ends up in the shot. Every single picture looked different at the time it was taken and once I opened them, on the computer. I will work on making it more accurate and consistent.

1 comment:

  1. Great effort. I'm especially happy that you are thinking/analysing/critiquing your own photography!

    I do like the first photo, reminds me of Walle, or something alien-ish. I'm also drawn to the contrast in colours. You are right though, being able to manipulate the positioning of the "eye" would make a stronger photo; however, I understand your thought process.

    Did you notice the reflection of the girl in the stall doors? It adds another layer of interest I didn't notice the first time while looking at them in class.

    And the building photo has interest to it too. A good use of negative space, something I haven't spoken about much in class.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete